University of the Ryukyus-Faculty of Engineering
Address: 1 Senbaru,Nishihara, Okinawa Japan 903-0213
The University of the Ryukyus was established in 1950 on the remains of Shuri Castle, which was burnt to ashes in the Battle of Okinawa. Under the U.S. administration governing Okinawa, the strong desire of Okinawans for postwar reconstruction and restoration of education moved the U.S. Military Government to establish the first university in the Ryukyu Archipelago. In 1966, administration of the University was transferred to the Ryukyu Government, and with the reversion of Okinawa to Japan in 1972, the University became a national university. In 1977, the University was moved to a large new campus in the region where the three municipalities of Nishihara Town, Ginowan City, and Nakagusuku Village meet, and it became a national university corporation in 2004. Although the University of the Ryukyus has gone through a number of historic hardships, such as interference in academic freedom and the autonomy of the university during such transitions, it has made great contributions to the development of human resources in the local community and to the production of new knowledge.